2007/03/09

Dull

...is my sense of smell. Dull... I cannot smell things.

"Eeew, smell that?"
No.
"Mmm, muffins!"
If you say so.
"That is by far the most repulsive thing I have ever smelled. Just one whiff of it caused my head to explode off my shoulders and my nasal cavity to melt into jelly."
I think I just got something. What did you say it smelled like again?

I have no idea why or how this happened, but of all my various senses, I think it's best to lose the ability to smell. The anosima (abscense of...nose?) foundation disagrees:
"As a child without a sense of smell, it requires a considerable amount of thought to determine that something is missing. Blind children are told they can't see, but anosmic children have to find a way to work it out for themselves."
Yet another example of how people without a sense of smell are worse off than blind people. I suppose deaf and blind people aren't told they're deaf and blind. Shouldn't deaf and blind be enough? Isn't deaf, blind, and mute like adding wine to a coffee cup full of vodka? You can't hear yourself scream, or see other people's reactions, so why not shout your head off... unless maybe in that state you can smell sound?

2 comments:

MilliVanilli said...

I'm glad to hear you've put so much thought into this. I definitly never understood the whole Hellen Keller thing, she was probably like the smartest person in the world, and every other blind and deaf person will never be able to do the things she did. By the way, I think you should take it as a blessing that you can't smell very well. My mom has the opposite problem and she's always detecting some funky smell. Everyone else around her is happily oblivious to the foul smell, but she manages to pick it up. On the other hand, maybe she just thinks she can smell something and she's actually just crazy...

Greg McLeod said...

Hmmm... I haven't (I don't think) put any thought into it, but I did see "the miracle worker" at ND last year. It made sense except for the parts where that nurse hallucinated about her brother, which confused me. One of the weird things about getting stuck in one body and one point of view is that we have no idea what it's like to be anyone else. If I switched with someone who had some sort of constant pain that they're used to, but I'm not, it would really suck.