2007/02/10

Last Week's Music


Yesterday I went and saw Dr. Lonnie Smith (^up there^) play. Only in jazz can a performer have 70 CDs (seriously) and yet most people have never heard of him... Really interesting guy though-he walks slowly out with a cane, white beard and turban, sits down at the organ deliberately with a serious, intense look, then without saying a word plays some great funky music-all the while maintaining a crazy mystique-his huge, expressive eyes mischievious, laughing with the joy of the music, sharing with everyone in the room. (Funny, though, I'm pretty sure he isn't Indian or sikh, just wears a turban...hmm...no, I don't think I could pull it off) It was also a nice surprise to see Bernie Arai playing drums with him-I know him from playing in the UBC senior jazz band this summer, where he was our rhythm section coach. I hadn't seen him since July, and he's one of the best jazz drummers I've ever heard, so it was great.
No! I just remembered I forgot to remeber to recite poetry to Mrs. Douglas yesterday... yes, of course for lit class! Gross.

The other interesting musical escapade of the week was going to see Tenant practice (Tanner, Jon, Norm and Rick's band) in the world-famous trapdoor basement. Even if it's not my style of music they are incredibly tight and heavy, so I think it'd be a terrible shame if people didn't appreciate 'em. Plus, you always got to root for the home team, and as they're only about a block away I'll buy the new album. Listening to them from 5 feet away is like getting hit with a machine gun of rhythm in the chest-lucky I had that one earplug with me...
Oh, and, a bad answer when a cop at a roadcheck asks you if you've had any alcohol is: "No, but I've had some coke." ... "Okay, step out of the car, sir."

No comments: