2007/01/10

Mind Things

A few thoughts which come to mind-mainly just an excuse to write though.

I have a title for our generation: we are "The, like, generation." I feel it will stick (and have a panapale of reasons for thinking so) because it has become our all-purpose word. The Eddie Poe of today would write "...and the raven was like, Nevermore!" It's not like it's a bad thing, like, if I want to express myself I don't have to remember alot of complicated words, which I like. What are the other characteristcs which set us apart? Being the first kids to grow up with the internet? An undying, puzzling love of Johnny Depp?

The popularity of the word "sex" makes me think. It, like "jazz", is a distinctive sound which some find ugly, raw. In fact, that's why it's popular. It, like its subject, is vulgar and coarse, yet socially acceptable. It isn't used by old people, which is fine because to us they don't indulge in it anyways. Compared to the thousands of names available, it's harsh, abrupt, unromantic. The fact that it's so common means that it must reflect our current views on it in some meaningful way (pessimistic? maybe. only europeans still make love and get that chance to make love stay).

I try to make the unimportant interesting
but keep getting smaller
so easily flattened unknowingly
that even though it means nothing
I still care.

My dad made an interesting comment to me today. His involvement my school consists of attending the awards ceremony at the end of the year, and he read that 26% of children in BC High Schools are overweight; but saw very few at the ceremony so his question was naturally: "Where are the fat kids?" This was not a hurtful thing to say-it was born of genuine concern for our portly chums. Maybe we need to start a scholarship program dedicated to leveling the playing field, (Outstanding Achievement in the field of Obesity?) but then again maybe not. It may simply be that statistics in general suck (32% of people already knew this, and I'm sorry for repeating it. I've wasted your time. 59% of people didn't know and didn't care. Whatever. 9% of people, however, are still reading. Thanks?)

No comments: